A Ukrainian drone barrage killed three people in the Moscow region and one in Belgorod overnight into Sunday, Russian local officials said, in what authorities in both countries described as the largest aerial assault on Russia in more than a year.
The strike pierced the air-defense ring around the Russian capital five days after President Trump said Moscow and Kyiv would "soon reach a deal" to end the war, and one week after a three-day Trump-brokered Victory Day ceasefire collapsed into mutual accusations of more than 1,000 violations. It marks the deepest weekend disruption to civilian Moscow since the full-scale invasion began on Feb. 24, 2022.
What was hit
Moscow region Governor Andrei Vorobyev said a woman was killed when a drone struck a house in Khimki, just northwest of the capital, and two men were killed in the village of Pogorelki in the Mytishchi district, about 10 kilometers, or six miles, north of Moscow. Rescue crews were searching the rubble in Khimki for a possible additional victim, Vorobyev said. He added that apartment buildings and unspecified infrastructure sites had been damaged.
In Moscow itself, Mayor Sergei Sobyanin said 12 people were wounded, most of them near the entrance to the city's oil refinery, and that three homes were damaged. Sobyanin said the refinery's "technology" had not been hit and that the plant continued to operate. State news agency Tass, citing the mayor, reported that air defenses shot down 81 drones aimed at the capital overnight.
Sheremetyevo, Moscow's largest airport, said drone debris had fallen on its grounds without causing damage. In the Belgorod region on the Ukrainian border, local authorities said a drone struck a lorry and killed one man.
The wider exchange
Russia's defense ministry said 556 drones were shot down or jammed across the country overnight, and that the 24-hour total had passed 1,000 by Sunday afternoon local time. Ukraine's air force reported Russia launched 287 drones at Ukrainian territory the same night and that 279 were intercepted or jammed.
Ukraine's state emergency service said the surviving Russian drones wounded eight people in the central Dnipropetrovsk region, including three in Dnipro and four in Kryvyi Rih, President Volodymyr Zelenskyy's hometown. Residential buildings were damaged in all three affected districts, the service said. In the south, Kherson region officials said a 36-year-old man was killed Saturday morning when a Russian drone dropped explosives on the village of Inhulets. Kharkiv region authorities said Russian forces struck 15 settlements over the previous 24 hours, wounding seven.
What is missing
The casualty and intercept figures cited here come from Russian regional governors, the Russian defense ministry and Ukrainian emergency services. Independent confirmation from Western wire services was not available to The Journal by press time, and Kremlin spokesmen had not publicly addressed the strike's implications for the diplomatic track Trump and President Vladimir Putin have said is nearing a deal.
A fresh round of talks on a longer-term ceasefire has not been publicly scheduled. The next test of whether the weekend's exchange shifts that calendar will come when the Russian defense ministry posts its Monday morning intercept tally.

